You were my friend when I was alone
You were my prayer when I had none
You were my hope in a world void of light
You were a song in the night...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

A Lover's Prayer

In winter's dark and freezing night
When I am lost and there's no light
When ice cold wind takes all my will
When snow blinds me and keeps me still
When I can no more find my way
I reach my hand to you and say:
For mercy, pray for me.

In early spring and apple flowers
When I am drenched in sudden showers
When sunlight's glow is all I see
Reaching out and blinding me
When wonder takes my breath away
I'll turn to you in fear and say:
For love's sake, pray for me.

In summer's heat and wasted day
When ground is parched and there's no rain
When I am thirsty and faltering too
And following mirages untrue
When deceit and lies all cover me
I'll remember you and you'll hear my plea:
For truth's sake, pray for me.

In Autumn's wind and dying trees
When I am one with drying leaves
When all is lost in sorrow's cry
When all I am just wants to die
When all that's good has passed away
Then on my knees, to you I'll say:
In death's vale, pray for me.

When all is lost and all is gone
I'll remember you are standing strong.
I'll remember you'll be always there
You'll hold my hand and calm my fears.
You'll keep my feet on the narrow way,
And sometimes I will hear you say:
In Christ's name, pray for me.

1 comment: